To foster human development and global understanding through education and training.
What WUSC does
World University Service of Canada (WUSC) is a leading Canadian international development agency comprised of a network of individuals and post-secondary institutions.
WUSC has over 70 local committees in colleges and universities across the country and is headquartered in Ottawa, Ontario. WUSC’s award-winning projects address local needs and strive to reduce poverty. These projects are delivered with local partners to reduce sustainability.
WUSC partnered with the Canadian Centre for International Studies (CECI) in 2004 to form Uniterra to mobilize people to reduce world poverty by 50% by 2015 through the Millennium Development Goals (MDGs)
To learn more about the national organization, visit WUSC.ca
SFU WUSC Local Committee
The SFU WUSC Local Committee is a student and volunteer-driven campus organization that:
- Runs the Student Refugee Program. This is a program that sponsors student refugees (who had to flee their home countries due to conflict and persecution) to continue their post-secondary education in a Canadian institution. WUSC-SFU, along with SFU International, welcomes 2-4 sponsored students every summer.
- Organize pre-arrival preparations for the sponsored students and assist them in their transition to life in Canada and to life on the SFU campus.
- Advocate for the Millenium Development Goals, in areas such as education and health (e.g. water, sanitation), sustainable livelihoods (promotions of vocational training and assisting in agriculture/rural developments), and governance (promotion of human rights and peace building)
- Inform and mobilize other students and the general public around global citizenship issues (e.g. fundraising for women in war-affected Afghanistan, fundraising to build bicycle ambulances for people in Malawi, raising awareness of refugee issues through films, documentaries and informal presentations)
- Selects an SFU delegate to attend the annual International Seminar
- Promote national and international travel opportunities, such as the Uniterra Leadership Summit
- Partners with other like-minded organizations,such as the SFU Dzaleka Project, Fair Trade Vancouver and WUSC-UBC.